General leave for B.C. government employees

Last updated: April 23, 2020

Resources for B.C. government employees seeking approval for, and reporting general leaves of, absence with or without pay.

On this page

General leave without pay

Leave without pay is based on collective agreement provisions for bargaining unit employees and the terms and conditions of employment for excluded employees and appointees.

Review the General Leave Without Pay - Approval and Acknowledgment Letter (DOCX, 20KB) before talking to your supervisor. This letter explains the impacts of taking leave without pay.

Submit a written request to your supervisor that outlines your reason for taking leave.

Excluded employees, review Terms and Conditions of Employment for Excluded Employees and Appointees Part 09 – Leave (PDF, 87KB).


30 calendar days or less:

  • Enter in Time and Leave
  • Use the 'LWOP General' pay code

More than 30 calendar days:

  • The supervisor and employee sign a General Leave Without Pay approval and acknowledgement letter

Benefits while on general leave without pay

Benefits coverage is suspended for a leave greater than 30 calendar days for any calendar months that you don't receive pay. If you wish to maintain your coverage, please complete and send the Option to Continue Benefits While on Leave of Absence Without Pay or Layoff (PDF, 305KB) through AskMyHRRestricted Access by submitting a service request using the categories Myself > Benefits > Benefits While on Leave.

Review monthly costs for benefits. Further information is available at Benefits while on leave or layoff.

Cuso leave

If you’re volunteering for Cuso International, you can maintain your benefits coverage if you return to work for a period equal to the length of your leave.

Fill out Option to Continue Employee Benefits While on Leave to Volunteer for Cuso Projects (PDF, 285KB).

When you return to work, make sure your benefits are reinstated. Contact AskMyHRRestricted Access by submitting a service request using the category Myself > Benefits > Other Issues & Inquiries.


Active members of the Public Service Pension Plan who meet the eligibility criteria can purchase service for periods when they didn’t make contributions.

Employees on an Employment Standards Act (ESA) leave have the option to make continuous pension contributions monthly throughout their leave or to pay to purchase the service after returning to work.

Please visit Purchase of service or the Public Service Pension Plan website for more information.

General leave with pay

General leave with pay may be granted to excluded and PEA employees in extenuating circumstances. This leave is not available to BCGEU employees or nurses.

Submit a written request to your supervisor that outlines your reason for taking leave. Leaves will be granted for legitimate reasons. Exceptions include requests for leave to work for another employer or when it's not operationally possible for you to be absent.

Contact us

Can’t find what you need? 

Submit an AskMyHR (IDIR restricted) service request.

If you're a B.C. government employee without an IDIR, contact the BC Public Service Agency to submit your service request.