WorkSafeBC claims for B.C. government employees

Last updated on February 7, 2024

Employees can apply to receive WorkSafeBC benefits if a workplace injury or occupational disease causes them to be absent from work, or for mental disorders if the disorder is caused by the workplace, including bullying or harassment.

On this page

How to apply

Advise your supervisor of an injury or occupational disease by completing the Workplace Injury/Illness Report (including Form 6a) using the Safety Incident Reporting Portal (SIRP) and call WorkSafeBC Teleclaim Contact Centre to apply for benefits at 1-888-WORKERS (1-888-967-5377).

For eligibility, the injury or disease must have been caused on the job or by something related to work duties.

Once a WorkSafeBC officer reviews the facts related to the injury and determines whether or not your claim is acceptable, WorkSafeBC will send you and your employer a decision letter.

Report of injury or occupational disease

If you have sustained an injury or mental disorder that's caused by the workplace, including bullying and harassment, and it causes you to be absent from work, you can apply to receive WorkSafeBC benefits.

To report the injury to your supervisor, complete the Workplace Injury/Illness Report (including Form 6a).

To submit directly to WorkSafeBC, complete the Workplace Injury/Illness Report (including Form 6a) on SIRP.

WorkSafeBC may send an injured employee a Form 6 if they receive the employer's report of injury or a doctor's report of injury before the employee reports the injury to WorkSafeBC.

WorkSafeBC claims, STIIP and long term disability (LTD)

Short Term Illness and Injury Plan (STIIP) benefits provide a pay top-up for regular or auxiliary employees on accepted WorkSafeBC claims, ensuring you are paid the same amount as if you were working.

The maximum for top-up is 130 days (6months) per claim.

If a claim is reopened at a later date, only the remaining balance of the 6 month maximum is paid.

While you are on a WorkSafeBC claim, you are also on a STIIP leave at the same time.

The maximum 6-month STIIP leave period runs parallel to the WorkSafe BC claim but you will only receive WorkSafeBC payments.

Employees remain on payroll and continue to be eligible for all other benefits during the leave period.

Supervisors may periodically ask for information from your doctor about your absence and limitations and restrictions to help them prepare modified duties for return-to-work planning. 

Your supervisor has the same responsibilities to manage your absence as if you were off on a non work-related injury. Think about what you can do as you recover, and explore the possibility of working modified duties or hours with your supervisor.

Apply for long term disability (LTD) if your absence is expected to go beyond 6 months, even if you continue to be covered by WorkSafe BC.

If approved, both LTD and WorkSafeBC claims will be in effect at the same time, but you will only receive the higher WorkSafeBC payments.

If your LTD claim is accepted, health and welfare benefits will continue. If not, an employee can opt to continue benefits on their own.

WorkSafeBC mental disorders claim

The Workers Compensation Act now provides coverage for mental disorders if the disorder is caused by the workplace.

If you believe that you have a mental disorder linked to your work or workplace, report it to your supervisor and complete the Workplace Injury/Illness Report (including Form 6a) on SIRP.

While WorkSafeBC continues to provide compensation for conditions such as post-traumatic stress disorder from something like witnessing a disturbing event (for example, a robbery or violent act), it can now compensate you for a mental disorder caused by significant workplace stressors such as bullying or harassment. 

If you are experiencing bullying or harassment, you should also file a claim. Resources exist to help you report and resolve the issue.

In order to receive compensation, you must prove that the issues occurred at. or because of, work. 

WorkSafeBC will verify the claim based on the information you provide and by contacting the work-site to investigate.

If the event(s) are verified and found to be part of your employment, you will need to receive a diagnosis from a psychologist or psychiatrist of a mental condition. This condition must be found in the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM). The psychologist or psychiatrist will determine whether or not the condition was predominately caused by the workplace.

Stress is not recognized in the DSM and therefore cannot be claimed as a mental disorder.

Learn more