Highway Use Permit - Residential & Agricultural Access

Residential and agricultural property owners must apply for a highway use permit to create or change driveway access off a provincially owned controlled access or numbered highway.

Property owners do not need a permit to create or change residential driveway access for a single family dwelling if the property is:

  • Located off a provincially maintained side road outside the municipal boundary, and 
  • The access is not off a controlled access highway or numbered route

If large agricultural vehicles or equipment are accessing fields and barns from a provincially maintained road, property owners must apply for a highway use permit for access.

A transportation design report may be required for multi-family residential access.


Learn more about the highway use permit application process for access.