Highway Use Permit - Access

Local governments, developers and property owners must apply for a highway use permit to create or change access off a provincial highway. Access must not interfere with the safety and the efficiency of the highway.

Types of Highway Access

The B.C. government considers highway safety, travel efficiency and the protection of transportation infrastructure when approving access.

Controlled Access Highways

The requirements for permitting access along a controlled access highway are more stringent. Permit approval may involve local governments, utility companies and other authorizing ministries.

Guidance & Resources


Use the checklist to prepare your highway use permit application package. Complete and submit the checklist with your application:

Applications are processed more quickly if they are complete and accurate. 

Highway use permits are processed and tracked through eDAS, the online application and approval system. You will need a BCeID to apply online. Register for a BCeID.

Apply Online: Highway Use Permit

You can also submit a paper application:

Collection of Personal Information

Personal information is collected by the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure under section 26(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used for the purpose of processing applications submitted through the electronic Development Approvals System (eDAS). If you have any questions about the collection, use and disclosure of this information, please contact:

Manager, Development Services
Suite 4D - 940 Blanshard Street​
778 974-2634