Rural farm extension program
The farm extension program allows you to extend your property tax due date to October 31 if you operate a farm located in a rural area. If your application is approved, you will not be charged late payment penalties unless you pay your property taxes after October 31.
Do I qualify?
To qualify for the extension you must:
- Produce seasonal crops or livestock on the farm land
- Be unable to pay the current year's property taxes by the July 2 due date
and the property must:
- Be located in a rural area of B.C.
- Be classified as a farm (class 9)
- Not have an overdue property tax balance
Property classifications are set by BC Assessment. If you believe your property is not classified correctly, contact BC Assessment.
To receive the extension, your online application must be received before the due date. You only need to apply once for the farm extension. If your application is approved, the due date for the property(s) will automatically be extended to October 31 each year as long as you continue to qualify.