Refunds for property taxes

If you have overpaid your property taxes or successfully appealed your property assessment, you may have a credit on your account.

If your property is located in a rural area, the province may automatically issue a refund if you have a credit over $100 on your account. If your credit is less than $100, it will remain on your account and be applied against future tax bills unless you request a refund.

Refunds are generally issued to the current owner; however, a refund can be issued to the person or agent that paid the excess property taxes if:

  • your property has multiple owners, or
  • your financial institution, mortgage company, lawyer or notary public paid the taxes on your behalf and they request the refund

If your credit is over $5000 (including interest) the refund will be paid to the owner that was on title when the overpayment was made.

When you receive a refund, it will include any interest that accumulated. Interest starts to accumulate on your credit 60 days after the date the overpayment was made.


You can submit a refund request online.

Allow 30 to 60 days for your refund to be processed. During the peak period of June 1 to August 31, it may take longer to process your refund. Refunds are not issued for amounts under $10.