Provincial emergency plans
Multi-agency emergency plans are an important part of ensuring B.C. is prepared for an emergency or disaster.
These plans are reviewed and updated regularly to ensure a strategy is in place to address future emergencies and disasters. Multi-agency plans foster co-operation among many organizations across the province with a strong focus on public safety, infrastructure protection, and disaster recovery.
B.C. emergency management system
British Columbia Emergency Management System (PDF, 2.6MB) is recognized as a standard system for emergency response, and is currently required for use within B.C. Government, and recommended as a best practice for all emergency management partners in B.C.
Emergency Operations Centre guidelines
The Operations Centre Guideline (PDF, 2.3MB) is a set of standards for members of an Emergency Operations Centre in the event of a major emergency or disaster.
Provincial Earthquake Immediate Response Strategy
The Provincial Earthquake Immediate Response Strategy (PDF, 5.5MB) focuses on the structure and frameworks for provincial coordination following a catastrophic earthquake. This document replaces the the B.C. Earthquake Immediate Response Plan published in 2015.
Comprehensive emergency management plan
The Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan is a framework that outlines the provincial operations used in the event of an emergency or disaster.
The All Hazard Plan (PDF, 1MB) explains provincial operations, as well as roles and responsibilities that might apply in an emergency or disaster.
Support Annexes are all-hazard documents and include functional aspects of emergency management.
The Hazard Specific Annexes speak to the provincial response and coordination of common hazards.
- Provincial Flood Emergency Plan (PDF, 811KB)
- Flood Waste and Debris Removal Plan (PDF, 502KB)
- Pandemic Provincial Coordination Plan (PDF, 795KB)
- Tsunami Notification Process Plan (PDF, 5.8MB)
- Provincial Coordination Plan for Wildland Urban Interface Fires (PDF, 1.9MB)
- Extreme heat preparedness for agencies and ministries (PDF, 3.9MB)
- Nuclear Emergency Plan for B.C. (PDF, 2.5MB)
Other emergency plans
The following are emergency plans that are developed or maintained by other ministries or agencies.
- Agriculture Emergency Planning
- B.C. Coroners Service Mass Fatality Response Plan (PDF)
- B.C. Drought Response Plan (PDF)
- B.C. Wildfire Service
- Dam Safety Program
- Disaster Response Routes
- Emergency Management Planning Guide for Schools, Districts and Authorities
- Federal Emergency Response Plan
- Foreign Animal Disease Emergency Support Plan for B.C.
- Spills and Environmental Emergencies