Inter-Jurisdictional Support Orders

Interjurisdictional Support Orders Act

British Columbia has agreements about support order enforcement with all the Canadian provinces and territories, all of the United States, and several other foreign countries. These are reciprocating jurisdictions. This means that B.C. and each of the reciprocating jurisdictions agree to recognize the family support (maintenance) orders and agreements made under the applicable act in the other place. In other words, an order or written agreement made in one place can be enforced in the other.

The B.C. law about reciprocity is the Interjurisdictional Support Orders Act (ISO). Each reciprocating jurisdiction has a similar law.

Using the act, you can apply for a support order in one of the reciprocating jurisdictions without having to go there. You can also apply to change an existing support order.

The person making the application rarely goes to court. The respondent (the person in the reciprocating jurisdiction) goes to court to respond to the application. Under the act, the designated authority in B.C. administers applications for support orders from a reciprocating jurisdiction. The Interjurisdictional Support Services (IJSS) program is the Ministry of Attorney General service that manages incoming and outgoing interjurisdictional support order applications in B.C.

Divorce Act

On March 1, 2021, the Divorce Act changed its rules for former spouses who were divorced in Canada and are applying to get and/or change a support order. If your ex-spouse now resides in another province or territory, an application process similar to ISO is now available under the Divorce Act. Many of the forms used in ISO can be used in the Divorce Act interjurisdictional process.

There are several forms to use when preparing your application under ISO and the Divorce Act. Not all the forms are needed for every application. Find further information about the process, including information about the forms that you need, at or contact:

Interjurisdictional Support Services
Vancouver Main Office Boxes
P.O. Box 2074
Vancouver, B.C. V6B 3S3

Phone: 604-660-2528
Toll-free: 1-866-660-2684