Record Suspensions

A record suspension allows you to have your criminal record kept separate and apart from other criminal records.

Under the Criminal Records Act (CRA), a record suspension can be requested after you have completed your sentence and can prove that you have had good conduct in the community.

You may have to wait up to 10 years after your sentence has been completed before applying for a record suspension. The exact waiting period depends on your sentence.

For more information about pardons, please see this Parole Board of Canada fact sheet.

You will need to apply to the Parole Board of Canada. The board makes all decisions about record suspensions.

Denying or Cancelling Record Suspensions

The Parole Board of Canada can deny or cancel a record suspension if you do not act appropriately in the community. Some examples of when a pardon can be cancelled are:

  • When the Parole Board of Canada revokes your record suspension if you are later convicted of a summary offence (See: Types of Offences (Adult Accused)
  • When the Parole Board finds out not all information provided on the record suspension application was truthful or relevant information was not included
  • When you no longer have good conduct in the community

If you lose your approval for a record suspension, you can reapply after one year -- as long as you can show you have been a law-abiding citizen.