How to Receive Information

As a victim of crime, you are entitled to certain information. Information about the accused or offender does not come to you automatically. You must ask for it.  

If the crime is still being investigated, you can contact police to find out about the status of the investigation.

When someone has been charged (or if you’re not sure), you can contact the police or Crown counsel may be in contact with you once charges have been laid.

For ongoing information the status of the court case, you can contact:

  • Crown counsel - who is charging and prosecuting the accused
  • The Victim Safety Unit, which can give you an update and also register you to receive ongoing information about the person accused or found guilty of committing the crime

If the offender is being held in jail before the trial, has been sent to jail for two years or less, or if you’re not sure, you can contact:

If the offender who committed the crime has been sent to jail for two years or more, you can contact the:

A victim service worker can also help you get information about the accused or offender. You can find a local victim service worker by calling VictimLinkBC at: 1-800-563-0808.

If you’re not sure who to contact, call your local victim service worker or the Victim Safety Unit and they can help you.