Protecting Children and Youth

If a crime is being committed or a child or young person is in immediate danger, call 911 or your local police.

If it is not an emergency, but you suspect a child or young person (under 19) needs protection, you have a legal duty to report your suspicions to the Ministry of Children and Family Development.

Everyone has a legal obligation to report situations where a child or young person needs protection because they are being abused, neglected or sexually exploited. You must report the matter to the Ministry of Children and Family Development.

Please call the Helpline for Children (310-1234, no area code required).

Once a child protection report is filed with the ministry, a child protection social worker will determine the most appropriate action to take. This might include making a report to police. 

PEACE Programs

PEACE (Prevention, Education, Advocacy, Counselling and Empowerment) programs (formerly Children Who Witness Abuse programs) provide group and individual counselling for children ages 3 – 18 who have witnessed abuse, threats or violence in the home. For more information, find a PEACE program in the Victim Services & Violence Against Women Programs Directory or call VictimLinkBC.

Victim Services

Victim service programs are also available to help children and young people who are victims of crime. To receive information, support and referral to a local victim service program, call VictimLinkBC or the Youth Against Violence Line.