Special Use Permit - Forestry

A special use permit gives non-exclusive authority to a company or an individual to occupy and use an area of Crown land within the Provincial Forest. Deposits, annual charges and taxes may be applicable to special use permits.

Companies and individuals must demonstrate that the intended use is for:

  • Construction and maintenance of primarily mining access roads, including construction and maintenance of bridges and other drainage structures
  • Sand pits gravel pits, rock quarries and other quarries that provide materials for road construction for use on an authorization under the Forest Act or SUP
  • A communication site
  • A logging camp and associated facilities, including a waste disposal site
  • A log dump or dry land sort
  • A temporary timber processing facility
  • A lookout
  • A weather station
  • A forestry use airstrip, helipad or other air transportation landing site
  • Educational or research purposes
  • Weigh scales
  • Silviculture treatments including associated facilities and camps
  • Wildlife habitat enhancement treatments including associated facilities and camps

Where a special use permit is not the appropriate form of tenure, a tenure under the Land Act may be obtained through FrontCounter BC.


If interested in applying for an SUP, please review the following special use permit procedures and policy:

To start your Special Use Permit application or to learn more, please contact your local Natural Resource District office and fill out the following application form as the first step in gathering all the required information.


To start an application to assign or transfer an SUP please review the following interim guidance and fill out the SUP assignment request form.  Please send the completed form to your local Natural Resource District office. In agreement of taking on an existing SUP, the intended recipient will assume all risks and liabilities to that site which includes the requirements to clean, restore and revegetate a site or deactivate a road. This may also include the management of contaminated sites under the Contaminated Site Regulation under the Environmental Assessment Act.