Domestic Market Development
B.C.’s agriculture, food and seafood industry is the most diverse in Canada and it is growing. Our agrifoods businesses produce more than 200 agriculture commodities, 100 seafood species and over 1500 companies produce processed food products. There are many options for selling and marketing these products within British Columbia.
Building connections with other agrifoods businesses and organizations can open up new marketing opportunities. Check out the resources to the right, to start building connections.
Planning Your Marketing
Marketing is vital to the overall success of a business. Having a plan to sell agrifoods or seafood products is important.
- Learn how to write a marketing plan
- Find out about marketing for new farmers
- Learn about marketing and find marketing organizations
There are several programs that may help B.C. agrifoods producers and processors identify opportunities:
- Healthy Families BC educating consumers on healthy eating habits
- Growing Farm to School supplying participating B.C. schools with local agrifood products
- Farmers Market Nutrition & Coupon Program at select B.C. farmers markets
- Agriculture in the Classroom Foundation is working with educators to bring B.C.'s agriculture to our students
Marketing can help secure sales, generate profits and grow your business. These marketing how-to guides provide tips and best practices for B.C. agrifood and seafood businesses to expand marketing knowledge. Learn how to use market research, improve your sales pitch, sell your product to retailers and develop an e-commerce plan.
- How to Conduct and Use a SWOT Analysis (PDF, 1 MB)
- How to Conduct and Use Market Research (PDF, 542 KB)
- How to Determine a Right Retail Price for your Product (PDF, 1.18 MB)
- How to Develop a Strong Brand for your Product (PDF, 501 KB)
- How to Develop and Use a Marketing Plan (PDF, 2 MB)
- How to Develop and Use a Positioning Map (PDF, 2 MB)
- How to Develop and Use a Sell Sheet (PDF, 2 MB)
- How to Develop and Deliver a Sales Pitch for you Product (PDF, 2 MB)
- How to Introduce a New Product into the Market (PDF, 631 KB)
- How to Sell your Product to a Distributor (PDF, 520 KB)
- How to Sell your Product to a Retailer (PDF, 1 MB)
- How to Sell your Product to the Food Service Industry (PDF, 644 KB)
- How to Develop an E-Commerce Marketing Plan (PDF, 528 KB)
- How to Develop and Use a Social Media Marketing Plan (PDF, 2 MB)
- Marketing B.C. Agrifood and Seafood: the "Inside Scoop" on a Market Driven Marketing Plan (PDF, 3.39 MB)
- How to Prepare for a Buyer Meeting (PDF)
- Overwaitea Food Group, "Market More BC" (PDF, 6.93 MB)
- Farm Diversification Through Agri-Tourism Manual (4 MB)
Market Intelligence & Statistics
B.C. Agrifood & Seafood Domestic Consumption Study
A comprehensive domestic consumption study compiled in 2018 by government and BC Stats provides information from interviews with over 2,900 British Columbians across the province.
The study presents regional profiles of key consumer groups which are more inclined to purchase local food and the motivations behind these behaviours. The information is presented in a practical format to support the ability of farmers, producers and processors to easily identify opportunities and make more informed marketing decisions.
The report is provided through the government's Grow BC, Feed BC and Buy BC initiatives, aimed at building the local market and encouraging British Columbians to purchase local foods.
- Read the BC. Agrifood & Seafood Domestic Consumption Study report (PDF, 8.1 MB)
- Learn more about Grow BC, Feed BC & Buy BC
Market intelligence provides B.C. based agrifoods businesses with current and timely information about the domestic market. The B.C. government provides analysis and reports on B.C. agrifoods markets.