Build your support team
It's okay to not have all the answers. Do your best to stay flexible and open to opportunities through all the different stages of your child's development.
Build a team tailored to supporting your child's specific needs. It might include child development and autism professionals, health professionals, therapists, care providers, social workers and educators.
Besides supporting your child, your team can also coach you through the different stages of development and help you build your own capacity to support your child and anticipate their future needs.
Here are some options to help you build a support team
Use autism funding to hire your own service providers
Explore government programs
- Child Development Centres
- Infant Development Program (IDP)
- Aboriginal Infant Development Program
- Occupational therapy
- Speech and language therapy
- Supported Child Development (SCD)
- Aboriginal Supported Child Development Program
- Special needs programs and services
- Special needs supports for families, like respite (a break for caregivers) or counselling
Other government programs and support include:
You could also find out about specific government programs in your area by contacting your local community health office or talking to an Autism Support Specialist: AutismInformation@gov.bc.ca | 1 844 878-4700.