Funding for Travel to Access Autism Services or Training
Allocate up to 20% of your autism funding to pay for:
- Travel to take autism-related training or access approved services
- Equipment and supplies that will help your child's skill development or therapy goals
Travel expenses may include:
- Expenses for round trips in B.C. that are 80 kilometres or more
- Air, bus or train fare, or $0.40 per kilometre to drive a vehicle
- Hotel expenses up to $150 per night for one room
- Parking up to $15 per day
- Ferry and toll fees
Families who do not have access to services in their community can claim travel expenses to pay for:
- Travelling to a service provider
- A service provider travelling to their community
Make sure to use the most cost-effective travel method when planning travel.
Families in smaller communities can consider pooling funding to cover the travel costs of professionals. Ask your Children and Youth with Special Needs (CYSN) worker to share your contact information with other families who may be interested.
To receive reimbursement, complete the Reimbursement of Autism Expenses form (PDF) and include the following information:
- The name of the traveller
- Reason for travel
- Type of expense (e.g. hotel, mileage)
- Travel from/to location
- Dates of travel
Attach receipts and keep a copy of all documents for your records.
Tip: Calculate your mileage using your address on file with Autism Funding.
For online purchases, include an order summary or receipt that shows proof of payment like a credit card or PayPal. If not, you'll need to also include a bank or credit card statement that matches the invoice.
If you have a concern about the service provided by the Autism Funding team, or about an autism funding decision, contact the Autism Funding team at 1 877 777-3530. If your complaint is not resolved, request to speak with an Autism Funding supervisor.