Working Holiday Programs
A working holiday is a visa program designed for those between the ages of 18 and 35 who may choose to work while travelling abroad.
If you are in British Columbia on a working holiday through International Experience Canada, you may be eligible for enrolment in the Medical Services Plan. The following information details requirements to apply for Medical Services Plan coverage.
Persons on a working holiday program need to have:
- a working permit valid for at least six consecutive months or more,
- must be staying in British Columbia for at least six consecutive months, and
- be working a minimum of 18 hours per week.
To apply for coverage, those with a valid working permit on a working holiday program must submit the Application for Enrolment form (HLTH 102) (PDF, 587KB) with both of the following items to determine eligibility:
- Confirmation of your employment in British Columbia with:
- a copy of your employment contract indicating full-time status or the number of hours worked per week, OR
- a letter from your employer stating the date employment started and expected to end, and indicate full-time status or the number of hours worked per week.
- Confirmation of your departure date from British Columbia