Requests to Contact B.C. Residents
The Data Stewardship Committee endorses, on behalf of the Ministry of Health, requests from researchers to contact B.C. residents before the request is submitted to the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of British Columbia.
Questions about the application process can be directed to the Data Stewardship Secretariat.
1. Complete the Data Access Request and Request to Contact form
Population Data BC will assist the researcher in completing the following two forms:
- Data Access Request (PDF, 2.2MB)
- Request to Contact Potential Study Participants (HLTH 5424) (PDF, 542KB)
2. Submit the Data Access Request and Request to Contact form to the Ministry of Health
3. Await Ministry of Health's In-Depth Review
The secretariat staff reviews for appropriate use of the data according to legislation and policy. Part of the review process may include follow-up clarification questions to the researcher.
When the review is complete, the application package is submitted to the Data Stewardship Committee for decision.
4. Receive Data Stewardship Committee Decision and Notification
The Data Stewardship Committee will recommend either:
- Endorsement of the request, resulting in a review by the privacy commissioner and the Ministry of Health for a decision; or
- Revisions to the application.
5. Await the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner's Review
The Privacy Commissioner adjudicates the application pursuant to the relevant section of Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
6. Receive Notification of the Ministry of Health's Decision
The Data Stewardship Committee, pursuant to E-Health Act, also approves the request as the steward responsible for research requests from the Client Registry System, which is a Health Information Bank.
The Ministry of Health will inform the researcher of the Privacy Commissioner decision. If approved, the ministry will enter into a Research Agreement with the Principal Investigator.
7. Await Ministry of Health's Data Preparation and Delivery
The Data Stewardship Secretariat. will co-ordinate the data extraction internally or with Population Data BC. If the data is extracted by the Ministry of Health, secretariat staff will contact the researcher to establish how the data will be transferred using a secure file transfer protocol.