Plain language exercises
Here is a complete listing of all the exercises in this course.
- Comparison of two sample passages - one in plain language and one not
- Shows how plain language encourages understanding.
- Have fun trying to decipher obscure language
- A simple and effective tool for a high-level assessment of your page's organization and structure
- Bring structure to your content by writing an overview first
- Demonstrates that "chunking" and headings help to organize thoughts and makes reading easier
- Have fun decoding archaic academic language
- Break long sentences in two to simplify them
- Some phrases to avoid altogether
- Practise using the active voice to simplify and clarify your text
- Look for prepositions and other clues to simplify lengthy sentences
- Practise using a variety of Plain Language editing tools on a sample text passage
- Put it all together by revising an existing page