Office of Protocol
The Office of Protocol leads and coordinates ceremonial, protocol and diplomatic activities for the B.C. Government. These services are vital to the well-being and positive perceptions of B.C., in Canada and internationally.
Protocol is about internationally-recognized rules of diplomatic conduct, introduction, professional courtesies and the appropriate use of national symbols.
The Office of Protocol provides the following services for the Government of B.C.:
- Advises on all matters of protocol and precedence, provincial symbols and the use of the name of the province for a company or organization
- Plans and conducts official ceremonies such as the Opening of the Legislature and Cabinet swearing-in ceremonies
- Plans and conducts official visits to B.C. for members of the Royal Family, the Governor General, heads of state and government, foreign ministers, heads of diplomatic missions and other distinguished visitors
- Manages state funerals, memorial services, and other commemorative events
- Acts as the principal government contact for the Consular Corps of B.C.
- Coordinates birthday and wedding anniversary congratulatory messages from The King, the Premier and others
- Manages the Order of British Columbia and the British Columbia Medal of Good Citizenship
- Provides information and advice on flag protocol and flying flags at half-mast (PDF)