About the Card
In February 2013, the BC Services Card replaced the CareCard for access to health care services. The card is designed to be
- Used to access health services
- Used to prove who you are to access government services online
- Used for photo ID
- Combined with your driver's licence — if you choose
Three Types of Cards
There are three types of BC Services Cards:
- BC Driver's Licence and Services Card - this combines your driver's licence and BC Services Card into one card
- Photo BC Services Card
- Non-Photo BC Services Card
Any type of card can be accepted to access insured health services.
If you use your card to access government services online, you may find that some services only accept cards with a photo. It depends on the level of assurance that the government services need.
Find out how to get a card or change your information.
The BC Services Card has enhanced security features to help protect personal information and prevent fraud. Every BC Services Card has a chip embedded in it — similar to the ones used by credit and debit cards in Canada.
The chips do not store any personal information like your health or driving records.