Where to Get Help


If you or someone you know is in immediate danger, dial 9-1-1 or call the emergency number listed in the front of your phone book.

For non-emergency situations, referrals and information:

Seniors Abuse and Information Line (SAIL)

The Seniors Abuse and Information Line (SAIL) is a safe, confidential place for older adults and those who care about them to talk to someone about situations where they feel they are being abused or mistreated, or to receive information about elder abuse prevention.

VictimLink BC

If someone is abusing or neglecting you or someone you know, you can call VictimLink BC. VictimLink BC is a confidential telephone service available across B.C. and Yukon 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

VictimLink BC provides information and referrals to all victims of crime, and crisis support to victims of family and sexual violence.

  • Toll-free: 1-800-563-0808

Email: VictimLinkBC@bc211.ca

Website: VictimLinkBC

Interpreter services are available in more than 150 languages upon request, including many North American Aboriginal languages.

Assisted Living Registrar

If you believe someone is being abused or neglected in an assisted living facility, contact the Assisted Living Registrar (ALR). The ALR investigates complaints about the health and safety of assisted living residents.

  • Call toll-free at 1 866 714-3378 or 250 952-1369 in Victoria.
  • Fax: 250-952-1119

Email: hlth.assistedlivingregistry@gov.bc.ca

Website: Assisted Living in BC

Community Care Licensing Offices

Community Care Licensing Officers investigate complaints about the health, safety or well-being of a person in care at a licensed community care facility. “Community care facility” is a facility that where adults reside and receive care: hospice (end of life care), mental health and substance use, long term care (also known as extended care or residential care), community living for people with developmental disabilities, and acquired injury.

Call Enquiry BC at 1 800-663-7867 and ask to be connected to your health authority’s Community Care Licensing Office.

For more on licensed community care facility complaints, and contact information for licensing offices in your area, please visit:

Ministry of Health: Community Care Licensing Complaints

Shelters and counselling

Women who are victims of abuse or neglect and who require short-term emergency shelter and counselling, can contact local transition housing organizations in their community using this list:

There are programs and shelters especially for older women in some B.C. communities.

Other Contacts

To make a complaint about the quality of care you or someone you know has received from a health authority, contact your regional Patient Care Quality Office. The Office addresses concerns about care provided: in a hospital, ambulance, or various kinds of residential care facilities; by some health care workers; and by services provided through health authority funded programs or agencies.

Eligible low-income seniors (and their caregivers) who need help finding legal advice and representation, can contact:

For a full list of programs and services available to victims of crimes like elder abuse and neglect, please see: