The following is a list of links to more information about preventing elder abuse and neglect and protecting victims.
The Elder Abuse Reduction Curricular Resource is an in-depth learning module that consists of an instructor’s guide and a presentation for teaching core competencies in elder abuse prevention, detection and response in British Columbia. This free, online resource includes activities, assignments, online video links, readings, evaluation questions, and references to additional material.
- BC Association of Aboriginal Friendship Centres Elders Programs
Resources include an Elder abuse awareness and prevention toolkit and facilitator’s guide.
- BC Association of Community Response Networks resources include the Community Response Networks toolkit and supporting materials.
- BC Centre for Elder Advocacy and Support provides victim services, information and legal support, and runs the Seniors Abuse and Information Line.
- Ombudsperson: B.C.’s Independent Voice for Fairness investigates and responds to complaints about the provision of public services.
- Public Guardian and Trustee of B.C. provides financial and personal care services to adults who may need help managing their affairs.
- QMUNITY Generations offers information, free counselling and peer support for older GBLT/Queer adults, as well as the toll-free Prideline at 1-800-566-1170
The Canadian Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse website is a national knowledge-sharing and resource hub created to share information about promising approaches and resources for elder abuse prevention and response. Visit the website.
The Canadian Centre for Elder Law provides resources in English and French, including:
- Elder Abuse and Neglect: What Volunteers Need to Know workshop
- Counterpoint tools and resources for health care and social service workers
- A Practical Guide to Elder Abuse and Neglect Law in Canada (includes information for occupational therapists, dental hygienists, and nurses)
The National Initiative for the Care of the Elderly provides resources in English and French, including:
- Bridging Aging and Women Abuse
- Defining and Measuring Elder Abuse and Neglect
- Older Women and Financial Literacy
The Public Health Agency of Canada’s Division of Aging and Seniors provides resources in English and French, including:
- Across the Generations: Respect All Ages curriculum
- Elder Abuse Awareness Teen Tool Kit and PowerPoint
- It’s Not Right!: Neighbours, Friends & Families for Older Adults brochure series and PowerPoint
- Public Health Agency of Canada e-Bulletin on Elder Abuse, June 2011
The Elders Financial Abuse Awareness Dialogue Project (2010-2011) focused on ethnocultural seniors
New Horizons for Seniors provides funding for projects that benefit seniors, including projects that raise awareness of elder abuse.
HealthLink BC information on elder abuse:
Federal/Provincial/Territorial Forum Reports:
- 2007 Elder Abuse Working Forum (English PDF)
- 2007 Forum sur les mauvais traitements envers les aînés (French PDF)
- 2008 Forum on the Financial Abuse of Seniors (English PDF)
- 2008 Forum sur l’exploitation financière des aînés (French PDF)