Making a Complaint About a Residential Care Facility

If you have a concern about the health, safety or well-being of a person in a licensed residential care facility make a complaint immediately. There is no time limit in which to make a complaint but if you wait too long before making a complaint this may affect the process; relevant documents or witnesses may become unavailable and affect the investigation and resolution of the complaint.

If you have brought your concerns to the attention of the facility and its manager but think that they have not addressed your concerns, please contact your local health authority Community Care Facility Licensing program to discuss your concern.

The information you provide is valuable to licensing officers and forms an integral part of their work in ensuring a healthy and safe environment in all licensed facilities.

Who to Contact

There are a number of ways to make a complaint about a licensed residential care facility. You do not have to give your name to make a complaint.

  1. You can call Enquiry BC and ask to be connected to your health authority's Community Care Facility Licensing program.

Victoria: 250-387-6121
Vancouver: 604-660-2421
Elsewhere in B.C.: 1-800-663-7867
Outside B.C.: 604-660-2421

  1. You can mail, email, fax or visit your local Community Care Facility Licensing program.

Complaint Process

Generally, once a complaint is received:

  • A licensing officer will determine if your complaint falls under the scope of the Community Care and Assisted Living Act.
  • If your complaint is under the scope of the Act, the investigation will be conducted by a Licensing Officer.
  • The facility will be told that there is a complaint and given an opportunity to correct the situation. (Note: Licensing does not reveal the name of the person who makes a complaint, if they request anonymity.)
  • If the investigation reveals non-compliance with the Act or its regulations, the facility will be required to correct the situation and ensure future compliance.
  • You will not be automatically provided with follow up information regarding the outcome of the investigation, however you may request a summary.

Your complaint will be handled as quickly as possible. Some complaints can be resolved within a matter of days. Other complaints may take longer if they are complex.

Some complaints, may involve other agencies such as the Ministry for Children and Family Development or the RCMP.

Privacy Protection

Community Care Facility Licensing does not reveal the name or personal information of someone who makes a complaint.

However, if the investigation results in action taken against the facility licensee or if the issue is taken to the Community Care and Assisted Living Appeal Board or is handled as a criminal matter, information or documents you supply may be used and become public information.

Concerned about care?

Complaints About Licensing Officers

Share Button