Family Doctors and Other Primary Care Providers
Primary health care is your first contact with the health system in B.C. Primary care helps British Columbians stay healthy, get better, manage chronic conditions and die with dignity.
The people who provide primary health care are usually the first people you see when you have a health concern or question. They include health professionals like family doctors and nurse practitioners.
Primary health care is about:
• Helping people avoid getting sick or injured
• Managing chronic conditions like diabetes or high blood pressure
• People playing an active role in their own care
• Making the most effective use of care providers' expertise
• Efficiency and coordination
• Understanding that factors outside the health care system can
influence health (for example, air quality)
- Northern Health Authority: Primary Health Care
Find a Family Doctor
You can get information about finding a family doctor (also known as a family physician or general practitioner) from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC.