Where to Find Legal Advice and Support

Last updated on May 16, 2018

Organizations and Websites

Ministry of Justice

People's Law School

The People’s Law School provides free legal information (but not legal advice) in plain language.

Resources include:

Canadian Centre for Elder Law

The Canadian Centre for Elder Law helps older adults in their relationship with the law, and conducts research and public education on elder law issues.

Legal Services Society

If you have a legal problem and are on a low income, the Legal Services Society (LSS) may be able to provide you with legal aid, such as:

  • Legal information: Available through LSS websites, publications, and outreach.
  • Legal advice: Available to financially eligible people through family, criminal and immigration duty counsel, and through telephone advice.
  • Representation by a lawyer: Available for financially eligible people with serious family, child protection, criminal, or immigration problems.
  • MyLawBC: A website which uses a question and answer format (called “guided pathways”) to guide people through a particular legal issue.
  • Legal Services Society (LSS) - Legal Aid Services

Resources include:

The Public Guardian and Trustee (PGT) of British Columbia

The Public Guardian and Trustee (PGT) of British Columbia serves adults who require assistance in decision making by protecting their legal rights, financial interests and personal care interests. The PGT also assists heirs and beneficiaries of deceased persons.

B.C. Centre for Elder Advocacy and Support

The B.C. Centre for Elder Advocacy and Support provides free legal services to older adults age 55+ who would not otherwise be able to access justice because of low income or other barriers.

MOSAIC Legal Resources

This multilingual website provides comprehensive and critical legal information in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Korean, Persian, Punjabi, Spanish and Vietnamese to Canadians. It is especially useful for newcomers and community workers.