Recycle packaging and paper product
In 2011, the Province amended the Recycling Regulation to make businesses supplying packaging and paper responsible for collecting and recycling their products.
This was done to shift recycling costs from B.C. taxpayers to producers and to give producers more incentive to be environmentally friendly by producing less packaging and waste.
Information for British Columbians
- 2020 Amendments to the Recycling Regulation (PDF, 165KB) - June 29, 2020
- Order of the Lieutenant Governor in Council (PDF) - June 29, 2020
- Information for B.C. residents (PDF, 263.9KB)
- Small Producer Definition Policy Interpretation (PDF, 321.1KB)
- Decision Regarding Steward Choice Enterprises Inc. Submission (PDF, 67.6KB) - January 13, 2016
- News Bulletin Regarding Recycling Regulation Change & Exemptions - May 2014
- As of May 2014, Multi-Material BC (MMBC) received an approved Extended Producer Responsibility plan for the collection and recycling of packaging and paper in B.C. In April 2017, MMBC became Recycle BC.
- As of July 2016, Brewer’s Recycling Container Council received ministry approval for its Extended Producer Responsibility plan for beer-related packaging and paper in B.C.
- Brewers Recycling Container Collection Council
- As of Oct 2017, News Media Canada received ministry approval for its Extended Producer Responsibility plan for newspapers in B.C.
- News Media Canada website