Together for Wildlife - Goal 4
Accountability and transparency build trust and confidence
We will create a robust and transparent system for reporting our actions, measures of success, and plans for future investments.
Our success depends on making sure we are on the right path, which means assessing whether we are delivering the actions identified in the strategy and whether the impacts of these actions benefit wildlife.
This approach requires a robust and transparent system for reporting our actions, measures of success, and plans for future investments.
We commit to the following Actions 14-17 to achieve Goal 4
We will implement a robust performance management framework with goals, actions, and performance measures to monitor and report publicly on the success of the strategy to all British Columbians.
Action 14 - work completed in 2020-2021
- Drafted performance measures
Action 14 - work underway/planned for 2021-2022
- Expand performance reporting to include additional measures
- Track and report out on wildlife and habitat investments
We will produce annual financial reports that document all expenditures made to deliver the strategy, and we will share these reports with all British Columbians.
Action 15 - work completed in 2020-2021
- Set up new system for financial tracking
- Tracked investments
Action 15 - work underway/planned for 2021-2022
- Publicly report out on expenditures by action
We will document and share with all British Columbians the rationale for significant decisions related to wildlife stewardship and how evidence was used to inform decisions. We will develop an approach for publicly reporting on significant decisions, and we will implement this approach over the life of the strategy.
Action 16 - work completed in 2020-2021
- Began discussions across programs on decision rationales and evidence-based decisions
- Shared decision rationales with First Nations and stakeholders on several controversial decisions
Action 16 - work underway/planned for 2021-2022
- Review the suite of decisions related to wildlife stewardship, identify the decision-maker
- Compile templates and approaches used in B.C. and elsewhere to communicate decision rationales
- Begin sharing decision rationales with British Columbians
In 2025, we will complete a comprehensive review of the strategy and revise it appropriately based on the knowledge gained.
Action 17 - work completed in 2020-2021
- Not applicable – no actions completed
Action 17 - work underway/planned for 2021-2022
- Not applicable – no actions planned