Together for Wildlife
The diversity of wildlife in British Columbia is one of our province’s greatest treasures. The variety of species, ecosystems, and habitats is greater than in any other province in Canada, and some species are not found anywhere else on earth.
On this page:
- Together for wildlife strategy
- Engagement process
- Minister's Wildlife Advisory Council
- The 2020-2021 Project Achievement Spreadsheet
Wildlife is of upmost importance to British Columbians, providing social, economic, environmental and cultural benefits. B.C.'s rich natural diversity is closely linked to our way of life, and is important to ensure that wildlife and their habitats are resilient in the face of challenges like climate change.
Together for Wildlife is the new provincial strategy to improve wildlife and habitat stewardship across British Columbia. The Together for Wildlife strategy includes additional funding, proactive objectives, and improved data and knowledge - all supported by new policies, strong partnerships, and dedicated resources.
Our vision: Wildlife and their habitats thrive, are resilient, and support and enrich the lives of all British Columbians
The Together for Wildlife strategy commits to 5 goals and 24 actions (PDF 0.7MB) to achieve our vision.
The 5 goals of Together for Wildlife
- Goal 1: All British Columbians have a voice in wildlife stewardship
- Goal 2: Data, information, and knowledge drive better decisions
- Goal 3: Stewardship actions achieve tangible benefits for wildlife
- Goal 4: Accountability and transparency build trust and confidence
- Goal 5: Collaboration advances reconciliation with Indigenous governments
The Together for Wildlife strategy was built collaboratively with the following groups:
- Indigenous peoples
- rural communities
- academic institutions
- a wide range of resource industry stakeholders
- conservation, hunter, trapper, guide, recreation and tourism stakeholder organizations
During the engagement process, participants shared concerns and ideas for change. They called for sufficient funding, effective legislation, clear objectives, and meaningful on-the-ground work.
- Read the Together for Wildlife strategy (PDF, 2.0MB)
- Learn about Together for Wildlife strategy development
- Learn about Together for Wildlife strategy implementation
To support the implementation of the Together for Wildlife strategy, B.C.'s first Minister’s Wildlife Advisory Council was announced in August 2020. From an application process, eighteen individuals with diverse geographic, culture and social backgrounds were selected.
The 2020-21 Project Achievement Spreadsheet outlines the projects that were funded by the Together for Wildlife Strategy for the 2020-2021 fiscal year. The Together for Wildlife Strategy was built on the principle of transparency with a commitment to improve accessibility to information across all aspects of wildlife stewardship, including decision-making and administration of funding. Within the spreadsheet users can scroll through and learn about the distribution of funds to 136 individual projects.
Also included in the spreadsheet are project details including:
- The applicable Together for Wildlife Action
- The branch of government responsible for the project
- Spent funding, and
- Final performance reporting regarding project deliverables and outcomes
Together for Wildlife Project Dashboard
Explore an interactive map that displays information about projects funded by the Together for Wildlife strategy and their achievements.