Regional Wildlife Advisory Committees - Kootenay-Boundary Region
In the Kootenay-Boundary Region, the Province has been engaging with First Nations to explore the formation of a wildlife and habitat committee that would focus on the East Kootenay and would provide advice to the provincial government at the local level and potentially jointly to First Nations.
East Kootenay interim Wildlife & Habitat Advisory Committee Vision Statement:
Thriving and resilient wildlife and highly effective habitat stewardship in the East Kootenay by focusing on and promoting ecosystem health (e.g., biodiversity, wildlife and their habitat, ecosystem function) through an ethical space.
In parallel to these government conversations, a diverse group of people with extensive local knowledge of wildlife have formed the East Kootenay interim Wildlife & Habitat Advisory Committee, a group in which members discuss with the province the formation of an advisory committee for the implementation of the Together for Wildlife strategy in the area.
Call for applications
The East Kootenay Interim Wildlife and Habitat Advisory Committee and the Province would now like to establish an East Kootenay Wildlife and Habitat Advisory Committee. Interested and qualified residents of the East Kootenay region are invited to submit applications to be considered for committee membership.
The committee’s role is to advise provincial government on the regional implementation of the Together for Wildlife strategy. In this role, the committee will:
- Work on the priorities of improving terrestrial wildlife and habitat stewardship
- Support and work respectfully and collaboratively with Indigenous and non-Indigenous members
The member selection process is a pilot project designed by the province in the Kootenay-Boundary Region and may not reflect future processes used to establish regional wildlife advisory committees in other regions of the province.
We encourage those to apply who:
- Share the committee’s vision
- Demonstrate a commitment to wildlife and habitat conservation
- Have the experience and skillset to respectfully and effectively collaborate with others
- Have the time to be an active and engaged member of the East Kootenay Wildlife & Habitat Advisory Committee