Rights & Responsibilities of Licence & Approval Holders
Several rights and responsibilities come along with applying for or holding an authorization, change approval, or drilling authorization or permit.
Rights and responsibilities include:
- Taking care to not damage land, works, trees or property belonging to others
- Properly inspecting, maintaining and repairing works the water user builds, operates or uses
- Deactivating or decommissioning the works when an authorization, change approval or permit is abandoned, cancelled or expires
- Liability to landowners for damage or loss resulting from the construction, maintenance, use, operation or failure of the water user's works
Licensees who use water for power, storage, waterworks or irrigation purposes may remove trees, rocks or anything that may endanger the water user's works.
Read more on rights and obligations specific to Section 10 use approvals and licence holders:
- Rights and Obligations (pdf, updated September 2016)