Workers' Advisers Office Information
The Workers’ Advisers Office (WAO) advises, assists and represents workers and their dependants on workers compensation issues. The WAO is independent from WorkSafeBC and WAO’s services are free of charge.
Workers’ Advisers are appointed under section 350 of the Workers Compensation Act, and:
- Help workers, their dependants, and their advocates understand WorkSafeBC policies and procedures, advise and assist on claims, and help them review or appeal a WorkSafeBC decision.
- Prepare submissions and represent workers at WorkSafeBC and at hearings before the Workers' Compensation Appeal Tribunal (WCAT).
- Assist and represent workers where employers have discriminated against workers regarding occupational health and safety matters, and where WorkSafeBC has ordered a penalty involving health and safety regulations.
- Meet with WorkSafeBC officials to make recommendations to the Policy Department, Executive, and Board of Directors.
- Conduct training seminars and public speaking engagements on claims management and appeals.
To access WAO’s services workers should submit their inquiry online at: http://www.labour.gov.bc.ca/wab/
Workers should have their claim number(s) available, as well contact details and some information about the issues for which they are seeking assistance.
For information on the status of your claim please call WorkSafeBC directly at 1-888-967-5377.