Step 11: Investigate Additional Business Registrations and Requirements

You may need to consider additional registrations or requirements before you open your small business. For example:

Employment Standards 

Tel: 250 612-4100 Prince George (or outside B.C.)

Toll Free in B.C. 1 800 663-3316

The Employment Standards Act and Employment Standards Regulation apply to most workplaces in British Columbia and cover important issues such as required wage rates, vacations and overtime rules. If you are planning to hire employees, you should be familiar with this information.

Industry Training Authority

Tel: 1 866 660-6011


The Industry Training Authority (ITA) ) is a provincial Crown agency that leads and coordinates British Columbia’s skilled trades system. ITA works with employers, employees, industry, labour, training providers and government to issue credentials, manage apprenticeships, set program standards, and increase opportunities in the trades. If you are planning to hire apprentices to work in your new business, you will need to be registered with the ITA.

Canada Revenue Agency

Tel: English 1 800 959-5525

Tel: French 1 800 959-7775

If your business is either a sole proprietorship or general partnership, you must report your share of gross and net profits (or losses) on your individual tax return (T1). If your business is an incorporated company, you must file a corporation tax return (T2) within six months after the end of the corporation’s fiscal period.

Canadian Intellectual Property Office

Tel: 1 866 997-1936

Patents, copyrights and trademarks are all ways by which businesses protect their intellectual property, including inventions, designs, symbols and products. . Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada’s Canadian Intellectual Property Office offers a series of guides that explain how to register your business patents, copyrights and trademarks.


Tel: 604.244.6181 (Lower Mainland)

Toll Free: 1.888.922.2768 (Canada)


Employers, regardless of size, must ensure the health and safety of their workers. WorkSafeBC has resources for small business owners that can quickly help you understand what’s required to meet your legal obligations, including registering your business and applying for coverage, managing claims, and meeting your responsibilities for health and safety.

Generally, you need coverage if you:

•  Employ and pay workers on a regular, casual, or contract basis

•  Come from another province or country to do work in B.C.

• Work in the commercial fishing or trucking industries

Business Records

Whether you are hiring employees or working on your own, you are required by law to keep complete records of your business income and expenses. The Canada Revenue Agency’s website provides a list of all business records you must keep. 

We also recommend you contact a qualified accountant to help you set up and maintain proper business records and accounts. It is also a good idea to talk to a lawyer for advice about any legal issues that may affect your small business.

Step 12: Identify Permit and Licensing Requirements >>>