Step 10: Complete Other Registrations

You may also need to complete other provincial, federal or local government registrations. The registrations that follow can be completed through the OneStop Business Registry

For example:

  • If you plan to hire employees – or have established your new business as a corporation – you will need to register with WorkSafeBC and pay WorkSafeBC insurance premiums.

This will ensure you and your workers are covered in case of work-related injury or disease. If you are self-employed, you may also want to apply for WorkSafeBC’s Personal Optional Protection

  • If you are hiring employees and you are paying salary, wages, bonuses, vacation pay or tips to your employees – or providing a benefit to your employees such as boarding or lodging – you will need to register with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for a payroll deductions account. This account will enable you to make the required Income Tax, Canada Pension Plan (CPP) and Employment Insurance (EI) payments. For more about payroll deduction accounts, call 1.800.959.5525 or go to the CRA’s website.
  • If your business is incorporated, or you are a non-resident corporation operating in Canada, you will need to register for a Corporate Income Tax account with the Canada Revenue Agency.
  •  If you are going to import or export goods, you will need to register with the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). You can register your business with the CBSA through the OneStop Business Registry. For more information about importing and exporting, go to the CBSA’s website.
  • If you have a restaurant and will be serving food, as the primary focus of your business, as opposed to liquor, you can apply for a restaurant liquor licence through the OneStop Business Registry.

For more information about a restaurant liquor licence, go to the Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch’s website.

  • If you need to change your business address through the OneStop Business Address Change Service, or plan to access other government e-services regularly, you will need a business BCeID. You can apply for a business BCeID through the OneStop Business Registry. A BCeID is an online service that makes it possible for you to use one login ID.

Haven't Made Your Mine Up About Importing or Exporting?

Check out our Import/Export Guide.

This guide introduces you to the places and people who can help you decide whether import/export is right for you, and how you can best set up your business to enter the exciting world of international trade. 

In addition, your business may require a local government business licence to operate. Please check with your local government or First Nation to find out about licence and zoning requirements in your area. If you do need to register for a business licence, you may be able to do so through the OneStop Business Registry.

Visit OneStop Business Registry for a list of participating local governments and First Nations. You can also access BizPaL, a convenient web-based service that allows business clients to easily generate a customized list of the permits and licences needed from all levels of government by answering some simple questions about their business. For more information about BizPaL, please refer to Step 12 of this guide.

The Canada Revenue Agency also provides a summary of information for small businesses, explaining federal requirements for GST, payroll deductions, importing/exporting and corporate income tax.

Go to: or call 1 800 959-5525.


Small Business BC offers a Starting Your Business Checklist that takes you through the step-by-step process of starting a business as well as ensuring you know exactly which registrations you need to complete. 

Other Laws

You can find copies of all B.C. laws at: You can purchase official print versions of B.C. Statutes and Regulations by calling 250 387-6409 or e-mailing

The new Tribunal Small Claims Regulation under the Civil Resolution Tribunal Act - the tribunal has jurisdiction to resolve a claim that is less than or equal to an amount prescribed by regulation as the maximum tribunal small claim amount.

Protecting Your Business Name

The names of sole proprietorships and general partnerships are not protected by law, which means someone else could decide to use the same name. Only incorporated businesses have that protection. If protecting your business name is important to you, you may want to incorporate your business.

Step 11: Investigate Additional Business Registrations >>>