Bridging Service

If you're a regular employee resigning to care for a dependent parent, spouse or child, you may want to bridge your service.

When you bridge service, you're eligible to have your previous service and benefits based on service seniority reinstated should you be re-employed as a regular employee. Employees bridging service also have in-service status when applying for jobs.

Bridging can't be claimed retroactively—you must notify your supervisor of the possibility of bridging service in your resignation letter.

To Qualify for Bridging

  • State in your resignation letter that you're leaving to care for a dependent parent, spouse or child.
  • Have at least two to three years of service seniority when you resign, depending on your Master Agreement or Terms and Conditions of Employment.
  • Ensure your break in service doesn't exceed six years.

When you qualify for bridging, it's your responsibility to declare your in-service status on job applications.

Once you're re-hired and have passed your probationary period, your supervisor can submit a request to have your previous service and applicable benefits reinstated.

Nurses should check their Master Agreement (PDF, 2.7MB) for specific information regarding bridging of service and in-service status.

Excluded employees should refer to their Terms and Conditions of Employment.

Resigning While on Maternity or Parental Leave

As referenced in your employment agreement, your break in service can be no longer than six years. When resigning directly from Maternity/Parental Leaves (without returning to work), the clock starts ticking for the six year period at the beginning of the maternity/parental leaves. The six year period doesn't begin on the date you resign. This can often mean a year has already passed when the resignation is processed.