Information for Passengers of Commercial Passenger Vehicles in B.C.
Sexual assault cases are being reported worldwide in the passenger transportation industry, and screening drivers through a police information check, driving record check, and ensuring drivers have a Class 4 licence is crucial to passenger safety.
There are illegal ride-hail operators who have not screened their drivers according to these safety regulations and who do not have proper insurance in the event of an accident. For your own safety, ride only with these approved companies.
Commercial passenger transportation services include taxis, ride hail, charter buses, limousines, party buses, and inter-city buses. BC Transit and TransLink are not commercial services. Read below for passenger information for using commercial passenger services.
Register a Complaint
- For immediate safety issues (e.g. impaired driving) call 911 immediately.
- Other complaints should be directed to the company first
- If you are not satisfied with the company's response, lodge a complaint with regulators by contacting Consumer Protection BC toll-free at 1-888-564-9963 or file a complaint on the website.
Passenger Tips for Ride Hail
Follow these tips for using a ride-hail service
- Always book your trips through the company website or app
- Verify that the vehicle and driver identity match the information provided in the app before you enter the vehicle
- Look for the company logo on the front or rear windshield (see example in the graphic below)
- Do not hail a ride-hail vehicle from the street. It is illegal for a ride-hail driver to pick up a street hail
- Ensure your trip fare is stated prior to accepting a trip, and paid for via credit card on the website or app
Differences between Taxis and Ride Hail
|Taxi Services||Ride-Hail Services|
|Can be hailed from the street||Cannot be hailed from the street|
|May be booked through an app, phone, or website||Can only be booked through an app, website, or digital dispatch system|
|Charge fares when the passenger is dropped off||States trip fares prior to pick up when the booking is confirmed|
|Have more payment options (e.g. app, visa, debit, or cash)||May only receive payment through the ride-hail app|
|Display vehicle identifiers such as Passenger Transportation plate or company-specific unit number||Display ride-hail vehicle identifiers such as company name/logo|
|Taxi Vehicles||Ride-Hail Vehicles|
Outside the Vehicle there is a
Outside the Vehicle:
Inside the Vehicle there is
Inside the Vehicle:
Passenger Tips for Party Buses
- it is illegal to drink alcohol in any vehicle