Apply for a Transportation Network Service Licence
Application forms will be posted in late August 2019. Companies can apply for a Transportation Network Service licence starting September 3, 2019.
Companies applying for a new Transportation Network Service licence must prepare an application by using the appropriate forms. Be prepared by reviewing the information below.
What obligations do TNS companies have?
Companies operating with a TNS licence must fulfill the following obligations:
- Obtain an initial licence and subsequent annual renewals. Fees include
- $200 for application
- $5,000 for licence
- An additional fee of $0.30 per trip provided in a non-wheelchair accessible vehicle
- The driver’s identify matches the record check
- A review is completed within 60 days of the record results
- A record check certificate is issued (via paper or app)
- The record check certificate is displayed in the form and manner determined by Registrar
- Ensure driving record checks are completed and acceptable for all drivers
The TNS company (licensee) must provide a record check certificate to the driver. The driver must ensure the record check certificate is displayed in the form and manner determined by Registrar in conjunction with the regulations. The record check certificate must be available on the online platform and include the following:
- The driver’s name
- A photo of the driver in similar form of the photograph required on a BC services card (e.g. passport style photo)
- The name of the company that the driver works for
- The expiry date of the record check
- A statement that the driver has undergone a criminal record check, driver record check, and meets all requirements under the Passenger Transportation Act
- The make, model, year of manufacture, and licence plate information for the vehicle
- The TNS company’s National Safety Code number
- Fulfill all Recordkeeping Requirements
TNS companies must have policies in place to ensure the BC requirements for records and reporting are fulfilled. Records maintained by TNS companies will be reviewed by the BC Passenger Transportation Branch and/or Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement staff as part of the audit process.
The National Safety Code (NSC) is a set of national standards supported by provincial regulations. The program establishes management and performance requirements for commercial carriers. The NSC standards establish minimum safety criteria for commercial vehicles and drivers and issues operating safety certificates when commercial vehicles and drivers have met all required criteria. The NSC provides online training. Find out more about the NSC and the operating safety certificate.
TNS Companies must maintain National Safety Code requirements for
- Hiring and monitoring drivers
- Monitoring hours of service
- Ensuring vehicle maintenance