Highway 1 - Illecillewaet
This portion of the Highway 1 Kamloops to Alberta program involved expanding the existing brake check area and four-laning a two kilometre section of Highway 1, 42 kilometres east of Revelstoke.
The project included:
- Expansion of the existing brake check area to accommodate 15 trucks
- Four-laning of two kilometres to increase vehicle storage during winter closures and to improve passing opportunities year round
- Acceleration and deceleration lanes for the brake check
- Improved geometrics to 100 km/h design standard
- Turn-around to enable trucks and cars to choose an alternative route
Construction was completed in November 2021.
- Improved safety and efficiency for users of this highway section, which include commercial transporters, tourists, local residents and general interprovincial and regional travellers
- Provides a storage area for vehicles during avalanche control and avalanche events
- Improved safety as trucks enter and leave the brake check