When should I see a family justice counsellor?
You should see a family justice counsellor if you:
- Need help agreeing about family issues such as guardianship, parenting arrangements, contact, child support and spousal support
- Want to obtain or change an order about a family law matter in Provincial Court
- Would like to learn about the child support guidelines, the court process, or services that are available to help you and your family adjust to separation and divorce, or
- Want to understand more about separation and divorce
Family justice counsellors are accredited mediators. That means they are qualified to help you resolve disagreements without going to court.
Family justice counsellors can also provide:
- Emotional support and short-term counselling
- Referrals to emergency and community services
- For people without lawyers, information about how to obtain or change orders or agreements in family court
- Information about Parenting After Separation courses, and
- Assessments about family issues when ordered by the court
Family justice counsellors do not provide legal advice, but they will refer you to legal services.