Changes to a Death Registration

Last updated on April 30, 2018

To request a change to a death registration, you will need to follow the five steps below:

1. Fill out the Correction of Error or Omission in Death Registration (VSA 412D) form (PDF, 920KB) EXCEPT for the last section entitled “Declaration”, which you will complete in step 3.

If you do not have a printer, you can get the form at any Service BC counter, or request the form by mail by calling Vital Statistics at 250 952-2681.

2. Gather original government-issued documents to support your request. Examples include:

  • Birth certificate
  • Canadian permanent resident card
  • Canadian citizenship papers/card
  • Landed immigrant papers (not acceptable if issued for travel purposes only)

3. Take the application form and original documents to an authorized person (i.e. notary public, lawyer, or Service BC agent). This person will do two things for you:

  1. Witness your signature(s) on the “Declaration” section, and then sign and stamp the form with an official stamp.
  2. Create certified copies of each page of your document(s), and stamp and sign the copies to certify them as copies of the original documents. Vital Statistics cannot accept your evidence unless it is certified.

Tip: Legislation allows authorized persons to charge a fee for this service. Find out about fees before visiting an office.

4. Include payment for the requested change, and any new certificates you order.

Change to the registration




Registration photocopies


Note: We cannot issue new certificates until we receive all certificates issued prior to the change.

5. Submit ALL the items listed below by mail to the Vital Statistics Agency or in person to a Service BC counter.

  1. Correction of Error or Omission form signed by you and an authorized person.
  2. Certified copies of evidence to support the change (you keep the originals).
  3. All certificates or registration photocopies issued prior to the change.
  4. Payment for the change, plus the cost of any new certificates or registration photocopies.