Certified Copies and Certified Electronic Extracts of a Death Registration
Certified copies and certified electronic extracts of death registrations contain all of the information recorded at the time of the death. They are rarely needed except for personal records. A certified copy of the Medical Cause of Death is included with the death registration.
If you request a certified copy of a death registration, Vital Statistics will send you either a certified copy of the original death registration or a certified electronic extract. Both documents have the same purpose, but death registrations for deaths occurring after January 1, 2000, are computer-generated. Generally, death registrations copies and extracts are only required for court purposes.
Who Can Order a Certified Copy or Certified Electronic Extract of a Death Registration
If more than 20 years have passed since the date of the death, anyone can apply for a certified copy or a certified electronic extract of a death registration.
If fewer than 20 years have passed since the date of the death, only the following people can apply:
- a relative of the deceased on production of proof of relationship to the event. Applicants considered to be eligible are a mother, father, son, daughter, sister, brother, spouse, grandparent, or grandchild of the deceased. Acceptable proof of relationship includes a photocopy of a certified birth registration, a parental certificate and/or associated government-issued marriage certificates
- a medical practitioner who requires the copy of extract for use in the treatment of a member of the deceased's immediate family, if the family member's illness, in the opinion of the medical practitioner, may be life threatening
- a person who is authorized by a court order to be issued the copy or extract
- an officer of any provincial government or the government of Canada who requires the copy or extract for use in the discharge of official duties; or
- any other person who satisfies the registrar general
How to Order a Certified Copy or Certified Electronic Extract of a Death Registration
After you have confirmed that you are eligible to receive a certified copy or certified electronic extract of a death registration, you can apply in any one of the following ways:
Send a completed Application for Death Certificate or Registration Photocopy (VSA 430D) form (PDF, 1.21MB) with payment to:
Vital Statistics Agency
PO Box 9657 Stn Prov Govt
Bring a completed Application for Death Certificate or Registration Photocopy (VSA 430D) form (PDF, 1.21MB) with payment to any Service BC counter.
If more than 20 years have passed since the date of death:
- Anyone can order the death registration over the phone with a credit card
- The record becomes available online through BC Archives
Cost & Processing Times
$50 per certified death registration copy. Prints within 20 business days, plus mailing time from Victoria to you.
$60 per certified death registration copy. Prints the next business day, plus delivery courier delivery time from Victoria to you.