Members of the public who wish to cut firewood on Crown land for personal use must have a "Free Use Permit for Firewood" from each Natural Resource District where they intend to cut, issued by the appropriate District Manager or designate.
ONLY DEAD OR DOWNED TREES MAY BE CUT FOR FIREWOOD.
There is no charge for this privilege, only a commitment to abide by a number of simple rules that are outlined in the permit. Each permittee must:
- Carry the permit and associated maps at all times
- Read and understand the conditions of the permit prior to signing, conditions differ between districts
- Produce the permit at the request of a Natural Resource Officer, Conservation Officer or Peace Officer
Cutting firewood on Crown land without this permit may result in confiscation of the wood and charges. It is up to the permit holder to determine whether they are cutting on "vacant Crown land" and not private land or First Nations reserves.
Each district is operated differently so please contact the individual districts where you plan on cutting for more information, and remember to carry your permit with you at all times.
Permits Listed by District
- 100 Mile House (PDF) | map
- Campbell River Permit (online form) | Rock Bay Overview Map | Rock Bay Permit Area Map (NOTE: Rock Bay firewood areas are 4x4 access only with no admittance for trailers) Quinsam FSR/Argonaut Mainline Permit Area Map
- Cascades (PDF) | Map
- Cariboo-Chilcoltin (PDF)
- Chilliwack (online form)
- Coast Mountains (PDF) | Rosswood | Usk Deep Creek | Sandur (Airport) | Ridley Road | Lachmach FSR
- Fort Nelson (No online permit)
- Haida Gwaii (PDF)
- Mackenzie (PDF)
- Nadina Resource (PDF) | map
- North Island-Central Coast (online form) | Overview Map | Holberg | Malcolm Island | Nimpkish | Port Alice | Port Hardy | Port McNeill | Woss
- Okanagan Shuswap (PDF) | map
- map will not work with Internet Explorer Browser, use an alternative like Google Chrome
- Peace (PDF)
- Prince George (PDF)
- Quesnel (PDF)
- Rocky Mountain (PDF)
- Sea to Sky (online form)
- Selkirk (PDF)
- Sunshine Coast (online form) | Pender Harbour
- Skeena Stikine (online form) | Bulkley | Kispiox | Cassiar
- South Island (online form)
- Overview Map of Blocks DFN-2A, DFN-2B, DFN-2C | | Firewood Block DFN-2A - Kissinger Lake | Firewood Block DFN-2B - Kissinger Lake | Firewood Block DFN-2C - Kissinger Lake
- Camp Main Firewood Area | Flora Lake Firewood Area | Elk Main Firewood Area | Cutblock 073114
- Overview Map of Mercantile Maggie Firewood Areas - Barkley Community Forest | SB8 Harvest Plan Map | SB9 Harvest Plan Map | MC1 Harvest Plan Map | MC3 Harvest Plan Map | MAG1 Harvest Plan Map
- Overview Map of Alberni Valley Community Forest | Firewood Block 14 | Firewood Block 15 | Firewood Block 16
- Stuart-Nechako (PDF)
- Thompson Rivers (including Headwaters Area) (PDF) | map
Due to the high volume of traffic through Data BC, the interactive map may be sporadically unavailable.