Firewood Permits

Members of the public who wish to cut firewood on Crown land for personal use must have a "Free Use Permit for Firewood" from each Natural Resource District where they intend to cut, issued by the appropriate District Manager or designate.


There is no charge for this privilege, only a commitment to abide by a number of simple rules that are outlined in the permit. Each permittee must:

  • Carry the permit and associated maps at all times
  • Read and understand the conditions of the permit prior to signing, conditions differ between districts
  • Produce the permit at the request of a Natural Resource Officer, Conservation Officer or Peace Officer

Cutting firewood on Crown land without this permit may result in confiscation of the wood and charges. It is up to the permit holder to determine whether they are cutting on "vacant Crown land" and not private land or First Nations reserves. 

Each district is operated differently so please contact the individual districts where you plan on cutting for more information, and remember to carry your permit with you at all times.

Permits Listed by District

Interactive Map

Due to the high volume of traffic through Data BC, the interactive map may be sporadically unavailable.

Choose which location applies to you:

Use this map to explore and choose which location applies to you. Click on your district and a PDF permit will be available for download, or a link will be available to an online form.