Members of the public who wish to cut firewood on Crown land for personal use must have a "Free Use Permit for Firewood" from each Natural Resource District where they intend to cut, issued by the appropriate District Manager or designate.
ONLY DEAD OR DOWNED TREES MAY BE CUT FOR FIREWOOD.
There is no charge for this privilege, only a commitment to abide by a number of simple rules that are outlined in the permit. Each permittee must:
- Carry the permit and associated maps at all times
- Read and understand the conditions of the permit prior to signing, conditions differ between districts
- Produce the permit at the request of a Natural Resource Officer, Conservation Officer or Peace Officer
Cutting firewood on Crown land without this permit may result in confiscation of the wood and charges. It is up to the permit holder to determine whether they are cutting on "vacant Crown land" and not private land or First Nations reserves.
Moving firewood can spread invasive species and diseases. B.C.'s forests are threatened by non-native insects that can damage trees. Moving firewood from one area to another increases the risk of spreading disease, funghi and pests. Plan to burn firewood in the area where you collect it or buy it. Learn more about stopping the spread of invasive species and diseases.
Each district is operated differently so please contact the individual districts where you plan on cutting for more information, and remember to carry your permit with you at all times.
Permits Listed by District
To determine which district you are interested in a permit from, refer to the district/region map.
- 100 Mile House (PDF) | map
- Campbell River Permit (online form) There are no areas available at this time.
- Cascades (PDF) | Map
- Cariboo-Chilcoltin (PDF)
- Chilliwack (online form)
- Coast Mountains (PDF) | Rosswood | Usk Deep Creek | Sandur (Airport) | Lachmach FSR
- Fort Nelson (No online permit)
- Haida Gwaii (PDF)
- Mackenzie (PDF)
- Nadina Resource (PDF) | map
- North Island-Central Coast (online form) | Overview Map | Holberg | Malcolm Island | Nimpkish | Port Alice | Port Hardy | Port McNeill | Woss
- Okanagan Shuswap Permit (PDF)
- Peace (PDF)
- Prince George (PDF)
- Quesnel (PDF)
- Rocky Mountain (PDF)
- Sea to Sky (online form)
- Selkirk (PDF)
- Sunshine Coast (online form)
- Skeena Stikine (online form) | Bulkley | Kispiox | Cassiar
- South Island (online form)
- Port Alberni/Bamfield:
- Lake Cowichan:
- West Coast:
- Stuart-Nechako (PDF)
- Thompson Rivers (including Headwaters Area) (PDF) | map