Members of the public who wish to cut firewood on Crown land for personal use must have a "Free Use Permit for Firewood" from each Natural Resource District where they intend to cut, signed by the appropriate District Manager or designate.
ONLY DEAD OR DOWNED TREES MAY BE CUT FOR FIREWOOD.
There is no charge for this privilege, only a commitment to abide by a number of simple rules that are outlined in the permit. Each permittee must:
- Carry the permit and associated maps at all times
- Read and understand the conditions of the permit prior to signing
- Produce the permit at the request of a Natural Resource Officer, Conservation Officer or Peace Officer
Cutting firewood on Crown land without this permit may result in confiscation of the wood and charges. It is up to the permit holder to determine whether they are cutting on "vacant Crown land" and not private land or First Nations reserves.
Each district is operated differently so please contact the individual districts where you plan on cutting for more information, and remember to carry your permit with you at all times.
Permits Listed by District
- 100 Mile House (PDF) | map
- Campbell River Permit | Overview Map | Permit Area Map
- Cascades (PDF) | Map
- Cariboo-Chilcoltin (PDF)
- Chilliwack (online form)
- Coast Mountains (PDF) | Rosswood | Usk | Deep Creek | Sandur (Airport) | Ridley Road | Lachmach FSR
- Fort Nelson (No online permit)
- Haida Gwaii (PDF)
- Mackenzie (PDF)
- Nadina Resource (PDF) | map
- North Island-Central Coast (online form)
- Okanagan Shuswap (PDF) | north map | south map | central map
- Peace (PDF)
- Prince George (PDF)
- Quesnel (PDF)
- Rocky Mountain (PDF)
- Sea to Sky (online form)
- Selkirk (PDF)
- Sunshine Coast (Permits available at FrontCounter BC)
- Skeena Stikine (online form) | Bulkley | Kispiox | Cassiar
- South Island (online form) | Camp Main Firewood Area | Firewood Block DFN-2A - Kissinger Lake | Firewood Block DFN-2B - Kissinger Lake | Firewood Block DFN-2C - Kissinger Lake | Flora Lake Firewood Area | Hawthorn Firewood Area
- Stuart-Nechako (PDF)
- Thompson Rivers (including Headwaters Area) (PDF) | map
Due to the high volume of traffic through Data BC during this fire season, the interactive map is sporadically unavailable.