Introduction to Silvicultural Systems Course
The Forest and Range Practices Act (FRPA) regulates how all forest and range practices and resource-based activities are to be conducted on Crown land.
Silvicultural systems provide a means of long-term forestry planning at the stand level, and are the foundation for building a site plan. A site plan is a site-specific plan that describes the forest management objectives for an area. Site plans must be consistent with any higher-level plan that encompasses the area to which the prescription applies.
- To encourage use of consistent terminology for silvicultural systems and improve the general understanding of the objectives and complexities of each system.
- To encourage consideration of the full range of silvicultural systems in a pre-harvest plan.
- To encourage site-specific application of silvicultural systems using current knowledge and careful consideration of all resource objectives at the stand and landscape levels.
- To assist learners in learning about silvicultural systems.
- To refresh knowledge of field practitioners who wish to review the basic concepts of silvicultural systems.