Step 3: The federal permit process

If the logs are to leave the country, the owner/agent must also apply for a federal export permit. That federal application must include a valid provincial permit.

The federal government also regulates exports of logs harvested from private land granted before March 12, 1906 using a similar surplus test procedure before granting a federal export permit.  In addition, most Indian reserves, treaty settlement lands, and self-government lands fall under the jurisdiction of Global Affairs Canada.

Learn more

The Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA) oversees exports at loading docks or the border and helps ensure that exporters and carriers comply with national policies, processes, procedures, regulations and legislation related to exporting goods. Additionally, the CBSA helps maintain Canada’s trade reputation by ensuring that exports comply with international agreements and conventions signed by Canada.

Learn about Canada's role in international plant protection and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) - Phytosanitary Measures.

Notice to industry – New phytosanitary requirements for the export of Canadian pine wood to China