Permission to export Wood Residuals

Last updated on January 18, 2024

Wood residue as defined in the Forest Act refers to wood chips, slabs, edgings, shavings, sawdust, and hog fuel.

Similar to timber, an exemption from use within B.C. must be granted and an export permit provided prior to exporting wood residuals from the province.


The wood residue may be exempted from requirement of use or manufacture within the province after submitting an application letter explaining the need for each exemption, accompanied by form FS 418R from the producer applicant or mill(s) of origin.

There are two types of residual exemptions granted – Order in Council (OIC) and Ministerial Order Residual (MOR). The Ministerial exemption is for application volumes not exceeding 200,000 bone dry units and the Order in Council covers any application with a higher volume. 

An exemption for both types requires the wood residue be considered surplus to the needs of timber processing facilities in the province. This means either:

  • There is evidence that residue cannot be processed economically in the vicinity of its production (or transported elsewhere economically)
  • The exemption would prevent waste of or improve the utilization of timber cut from Crown land


If an OIC or MOR is approved, ministry staff will issue the necessary permit and any conditions in it based on the approved OIC or MOR, and advise the appropriate Regional Executive Director of the details.

Before a permit is issued for the residuals it may be required to provide evidence that a contract with a buyer outside the province is in place.

Contact information

For more information or to submit an application: