Organizations developing interfaces to the ministry's health information exchange (HIE) systems must meet all the requirements defined within the British Columbia Professional and Software Conformance Standards.
To get started:
- Download the full package of conformance standards.
- Review the full set of conformance standards to ensure you can fulfill the requirements.
- Fill out the Request for Integration Services (PDF, 520KB) form to initiate assistance from the ministry.
- Follow the integration processes outlined in Volume 1 of the conformance standards. For more information about connectivity, go to the access to environments page.
The integration process and requirements are described in Volume 1 of the conformance standards.
Organizations must understand the commitment required to integrate with ministry HIE systems, including:
- Conformance standards requirements (e.g., privacy and security, training development and delivery, transport protocols)
- Message specifications for each system being accessed
- Vendor and user agreement obligations
- Connectivity requirements (network, configuration), process and costs
- Time frame to integrate
- Acceptable use policy for non-production environments
- Conformance testing process
- User/organization support model
- Audit and compliance checks
The following diagram illustrates the process to develop an interface and integrate with a ministry HIE system:
Note: The timeline is an estimate and will vary depending on the organization's size and experience.