Medical claims are submitted for payment electronically through the Medical Services Plan (MSP) Teleplan system.
Teleplan Claims Submission and Processing
Teleplan is a telecommunications system which allows practitioners to securely submit claims and notes, retrieve remittance information, and check patient eligibility over an encrypted internet connection with MSP. The system is built to industry standards for secure internet communications (like that used for online banking transactions). Teleplan receives and processes over 9 million claims monthly, valued at approximately $330 million. Approximately 98.8% of all claims are processed within 30 days, with the majority being paid within 14 days. Processing times depend on the timing of the submissions and the complexity of the claims. Payments are made at the middle and end of each month, either by electronic funds transfer or by cheque.
The benefits of using a web-based Teleplan connection include:
- You can connect directly through a private Internet Service Provider (ISP) through dial-up or high-speed access (cable or ADSL).
- Claims can be submitted electronically 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- You have direct online access to additional information and services through the Internet technology, including:
- enhanced patient eligibility check;
- a comprehensive MSP web site with access to online forms, interactive billing tutorials, electronic versions of the MSC Payment Schedule and ICD9 coding manual, the MSC Financial Statement, Physicians' Newsletter and other publications; and
- PharmaNet data.
Applying for Teleplan Service
Depending on your status with MSP, there is a choice of two forms to apply for Teleplan service:
- Application for Teleplan Service - Opted In (HLTH 2820) (PDF, 125KB)
- Application for Teleplan Service - Opted Out (HLTH 2771) (PDF, 125KB)
Claims Processing System
Once medical claims have been submitted through the Teleplan system, they are processed sequentially through four major components where edits and rules are applied. Major aspects include accuracy of billing information, ensuring payments to providers are made mid- and end-of-month, and the application of payment schedule rules.
Service Location Codes (SLC)
Effective April 1, 2021, Service Location Code A for MSP practitioner claims will be replaced with new codes. See here for more information. The Teleplan Specifications have been updated to reflect this change.
Transport Layer Security (TLS) Upgrade
The Teleplan system was updated to version 1.2 on November 19, 2020. Teleplan Users with older browser versions may be unable to connect to Teleplan as they are not compatible with the updated security requirements. No impact is expected for Teleplan Users using current browser versions.
If you have questions regarding Teleplan IP addresses, protocols, TLS versions and deployment scheduling, please contact Teleplan Support.
Teleplan Connection Verification
The Teleplan system is regularly updated to align with current security standards. Teleplan Vendors should ensure that their users are using current browsers and the latest version of their software. Impacts to user connections due to updates are not expected, however, users may verify that their software can successfully connect to Teleplan at any time.
The Teleplan Connection Verification webpage contains more details about recent changes as well as instructions for users to verify connectivity. Teleplan Users are asked to contact their Teleplan Vendors in case of any connectivity issues.