Healthy Minds, Healthy People
Healthy Minds, Healthy People: A Ten-Year Plan to Address Mental Health and Substance Use in British Columbia, is about transforming our approach to mental health and substance use, and working together to support lifelong mental wellbeing of all British Columbians. Healthy Minds, Healthy People outlines strategies to prevent and delay the onset of problems in people of all ages, and to improve treatment and support when problems occur. This whole-of-government, multi-systems approach involves partnership across sectors, involving individuals and their families, promoting evidence-informed policy and practice and ensuring accountability for results.
The overall goals are to:
- Improve mental health and wellbeing of the population.
- Improve the quality and accessibility of services for people with mental health and substance use problems.
- Reduce the economic cost to the public and private sectors resulting from mental health and substance use issues.
Are We Making Progress
Our government is committed to publicly reporting on progress towards the plan (PDF, 2.6MB) so that citizens, and other important stakeholders, can determine what’s on track and where extra attention is needed.
For a highlight of actions that are complete or underway after two years of implementation, see Monitoring Progress: First Annual Report 2011 (PDF, 1.5MB), the Year One Supplementary Progress Report (PDF, 398KB), and the Monitoring Progress: 2012 Annual Report (PDF, 4.4MB).
Healthy Minds, Healthy People is the result of cross-ministry, health authority, academic, and community partnerships.
Below are links to our ministry partners - please check back soon as we will be adding information about our health authority, academic and community partnerships to this site!
- Ministry of Health
Communicable Disease Prevention, Harm Reduction and Mental Health Promotion
Integrated Primary and Community Care
- Ministry of Children and Family Development
Child and Youth Mental Health
- Ministry of Education
Comprehensive School Health
- Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation
Persons with Disabilities
Ministry of Energy, Mines and Natural Gas and Responsible for Housing
- Liquor Control and Licensing Branch
Provincial Housing Strategy and Programs
- Ministry of Attorney General
Mental Health Services
Programs and Case Management Approaches
- Ministry of Aboriginal Relations and Reconciliation
- Ministry of Natural Gas Development and Responsible for Housing