First Nations Health Benefits (Plan W)

Plan W is designed to meet the unique needs of B.C. First Nations. Plan W covers 100 percent of:

  • Eligible prescription costs
  • Certain medical supplies
  • Certain over-the-counter drugs
  • Some natural health products
  • Pharmacy services

Plan W is funded by the First Nations Health Authority (FNHA).

Who is eligible for Plan W?

You do not need to apply for Plan W. You must be enrolled with FNHA to be covered by Plan W. Call FNHA to enrol. FNHA will confirm your eligibility for the plan.

You are eligible for coverage under the Plan W if you:

  • Have active Medical Services Plan (MSP) coverage. To enrol in MSP, contact FNHA
  • Are a registered Indian under the Indian Act, or are a child under 2 years who has at least one parent who is a registered Indian under the Indian Act

Some individuals do not qualify for Plan W because they have coverage through other agreements with Canada. These include:

  • A treaty and land claims agreement under the Constitution Act, 1982 (Canada) (unless that treaty and land claims agreement has been identified by the provincial Minister of Health as not resulting in ineligibility), or
  • A written contribution arrangement between a First Nations organization and a government or province of Canada under which the government provides funding, and which has been identified by the provincial Minister of Health as resulting in ineligibility for enrolment

Your pharmacist submits your prescription claim online, and your BC PharmaCare coverage is applied immediately.

See general coverage policies for information about PharmaCare plans, including Plan W.

Note that FNHA clients are eligible for other PharmaCare plans if they meet the criteria for the plan(s).

Over-the-counter drugs

To be eligible for coverage for many over-the counter (OTC) drugs, you will need a prescription from your:

  • Physician
  • Nurse practitioner, or
  • Midwife
  • A recommendation from your pharmacist

For all covered OTCs, your pharmacist must submit a claim to PharmaCare at the time of purchase.

Medical supplies and equipment

PharmaCare covers the following medical supplies and equipment for all eligible beneficiaries:

Some supplies and equipment are covered only under specific medical conditions. Your prescriber must submit a Special Authority request for the following items to be fully covered under Plan W:

For Plan W only, PharmaCare also covers over-the-counter supplies at their retail price up to a certain maximum, with no dispensing fee:

  • Lancets
  • Blood and urine ketone strips
  • Alcohol wipes/pads
  • Inhaler spacers
  • Needles and syringes (not restricted to those for insulin injection)
  • Intrauterine devices (IUDs)

Medical supplies and equipment benefits that need require prior authorization from the FNHA are administered by Pacific Blue Cross. See the list of FNHA MS&E benefits.

Medications purchased in other provinces

PharmaCare is B.C.'s provincial drug program, so Plan W cannot automatically cover drug purchases made outside the province. We recommend you get the maximum amount of medication under the PharmaCare Travel Supply Policy before you leave B.C.

If you must purchase medication in another province, you will need to send an Out-of-Province Claim (PDF, 91.7KB) to PharmaCare with your original pharmacy receipt.

Don’t have the original pharmacy receipt? You can request an official duplicate from the pharmacy. Note that till receipts or photocopies cannot be accepted.

Out-of-province border pharmacies

Some pharmacies located on the B.C. border are enrolled in BC PharmaCare. Although these border pharmacies cannot submit your claim for immediate online adjudication, they can submit a paper claim to PharmaCare on your behalf.

Please check with the pharmacy before you fill your prescription.

Over-the-counter (OTC) medications and devices purchased outside B.C.

Whether you purchase an OTC medication or a device at a B.C. pharmacy or an out-of-province pharmacy, it must be processed as a prescription. For out-of-province purchases, this means you will need an official prescription receipt that you can submit to PharmaCare for reimbursement.


Questions about PharmaCare?

Contact us. We provide interpreter services in over 140 languages.



First Nations Health Authority (FNHA)

Contact FNHA to enrol in MSP or if you have questions about your coverage.

Call Toll-Free: 1-855-550-5454