The Medical Services Plan (MSP) provides the following benefits:
- medically required services provided by a physician enroled with MSP;
- maternity care provided by a physician or a midwife;
- medically required eye examinations provided by an ophthalmologist or optometrist for adults aged 19-64;
- annual eye examinations for children aged 0-18 and seniors aged 65+;
- diagnostic services, including x-rays, provided at approved diagnostic facilities, when ordered by a registered physician, midwife, podiatrist, dental surgeon or oral surgeon;
- dental and oral surgery, when medically required to be performed in hospital (excluding restorative services, i.e.: fillings, caps, crowns, root canals, etc.)*;
- orthodontic services related to severe congenital facial abnormalities.
* The removal of healthy wisdom teeth, even if impacted, is not a benefit. Surgical removal of an impacted third molar (wisdom tooth) is an MSP insured service only when hospitalization is medically required, due to the extreme complexity of the extraction and where there is associated pathology.
Medical Benefits Outside of B.C.
If you are leaving B.C. temporarily and are eligible to maintain your MSP coverage, there is important information you need to know about the extent of coverage while you are away from B.C. Find out more information about MSP coverage in other parts of Canada and MSP coverage when outside of the country.