Health Sector Partner Access to Data
Ministry of Health and health authority employees, contractors and service providers may obtain access to health data via a number of mechanisms, depending on the data required and the purpose for which the data is needed.
Health Data Platform (HDP)
The Health Data Platform (HDP) supports research and analysis both within the health sector and in academia, by allowing access to health data from multiple sources to be brought together as required (on-demand), linked, de-identified and analyzed on a single secure platform The HDP is now the principal mechanism for obtaining access to data across multiple organizations. HDP governance processes and technologies enable more rapid access to data within a common secure analysis environment.
The Ministry of Health and health authorities will gradually add to the data holdings accessible via the HDP over time with the prioritization for additions being informed by Ministry and health authority input. Where required data is not currently available via the HDP, mechanisms such as secure data transfers may be considered.
Making a request using the HDP
Secure Data Transfers
In certain situations, such as when the required data is not currently accessible via the HDP, a transfer of the required Ministry of Health data to the requesting organization via a secure transfer process may be required.
Making a request using a Secure Data Transfer
The process for requesting a transfer of Ministry of Health data for an authorized purpose is detailed here.
Direct Access to Ministry Data Warehouse
In certain situations, such as when only Ministry of Health data is required to conduct analysis, direct access to the Ministry of Health’s data warehouse, HealthIdeas, may be required. The process for requesting access to HealthIdeas is detailed here.
Making a request for direct access to HealthIdeas
Enquiries regarding obtaining access to health data may be sent to MoHAnalytics@gov.bc.ca
Additional resources related to accessing B.C. health sector data include:
- Information about wait times for scheduled surgical procedures in B.C. are available on the Surgical Wait Times website.
- Self-serve parameter driven reports on BC Hospital Services Utilization may be accessed on the HealthIdeas Public Summary Reports site.
- The B.C. Data Catalogue is a rich source of B.C. government data, applications and web services.
- Authorized health care partners may request access to a variety of Ministry of Health online systems and data services. Information concerning specific health systems and data can be found on the System Access page on the Practitioner & Professional Resources site.
- Data held by other public organizations in BC and Canada hold administrative health data or other data relevant to public health that could be used for evaluation or research and could be accessed by following and fulfilling the respective organization’s processes and requirements: